Are you a pet lover? Do you have a pet, whom you love more than any human? If yes, then potty trained or not? There will be a time in every pet owners’ life to figure out how to clean dog poop without ruining your carpet. Dogs, cats, or be it your own baby, their poop stains are no joke!
It might take some time for your pet to learn where to poop but it should not take you time to learn how to get rid of the poop stains. The longer you leave the stains on, the longer you will be on your knees rubbing it off! To save you time, we have come up with a detailed list of ways you can implement to retrieve your carpet color. Also, you might need to buy some not so expensive products to easily clean those stains.
Tools to Use
Obviously, you need tools to make the work easy and get it done with less effort. Using the right tool can completely change your experience. So, here are some tools listed to help you out:
- Protective gloves
- Dry tissue or towels
- Microfiber cloth
- Vacuum cleaner
- Soft bristle brush
- Sealable bag
Vinegar solution has some acidic properties, and hence, it is an all-rounder when it comes to home remedies. Below are the steps to follow to get rid of poop stains using vinegar.
In a bucket:
- Add one part of vinegar.
- Add 5 parts of lukewarm water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- After doing a spot check, pour the solution over the stain.
- Let it rest for 4-5 minutes.
- Take a dry towel and blot.
- Blot until the stain goes away.
Always remember, while you are blotting the stain, do it in an inward direction. Blotting stains outward will only spread it. If you smell the vinegar off of your carpet, sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda over it and let it rest for 10-20 minutes. Vacuum it later. Make sure to add bicarbonate soda when the carpet is fully dry.
Club soda is made of carbonated water and carbonated water can clean stains as the gas dissolved in it becomes a temporary surfactant. A surfactant lowers surface tension on the stain, so it could easily be removed.
Following are the steps on how to use club soda on poop stains.
- Pour club soda over the stains.
- Wait for it to bubble up. This bubbling loosens the stain.
- Take a dry cloth and rub off the bubbles gently so as to not spread them further.
- Make sure to not press them down as doing so will make your job tougher.
- Use your dishwashing soap to pour it over the stain.
- Wipe off all the foam with a dry towel.
- Before leaving it to dry, free the strands of the carpet, if any.
If you have got some stubborn stains, you can use some strong solutions too! But keep in mind that using chemicals is very harsh and might affect the quality of your carpet or any other fabric. Following are some stain removers you can either find online or in any supermarket.
- Clean + Green Pet Stain Remover
- Sunny & Honey Pet Odour Remover
- Bissell Professional Pet Stain Remover
- ROCCO & ROXIE Professional Strength Stain Remover
- Bissel Pro Oxy Power Shot
- CARBONA Oxy Powered Cleaner
Tips and Tricks
- Simply bolt and rinse and avoid rubbing against the stain.
- Always do your spot test first.
- Never use products containing bleach on any type of carpet.
- Always read the instructions on product containers before using them.
- Do not use hot/warm water on woolen carpets.
- Experts say that it is better to pre-treat the stain with an oxygen-based fabric cleaner.
- Always use soft towels or soft bristle brushes to blot over stains.
- You can also use an enzyme-based deodorizer to get rid of the odor.
Before you execute the process of cleaning, some precautions must be taken, so that you will not hurt yourself or damage the carpet. A few precautions are listed here to keep in mind.
- Always spot tests on a hidden area of the carpet. This means, pour a few drops of the cleaner/ homemade paste, you will be making, over a tiny area and check if the solution actually works or ruins your carpet. If there is no damage then you are good to go!
- Make sure you don’t overuse any product because it will ruin the quality of your carpet or any other fabric.
- Applying a harsh product on the same particular area, again and again, will slowly but surely damage the carpet.
- Always wear gloves while cleaning and handle the chemical products with care.
What Happens if you Don’t Sanitize your Carpet?
There are high chances for a carpet to house bacteria and germs. Harmful parasites enter through windows and doors when left open. Remove your shoes before you enter your house. These bacteria feed on greasy stains on the carpet and increase their growth at a very high pace.
Toddlers play on the floor and frequently come in contact with germs. They also happen to consume them via toys or dirty hands. It is neither safe for adults nor for pets to be continuously exposed to such pathogens. Hence, when your pet poops on the carpet, do not wait any longer and get down to clean it.
While the process of cleaning is going on, make sure your pets and toddlers, if any, are at a distance from the stain. Inhaling or consuming such chemicals is definitely hazardous to health.
Make sure to vacuum over the stain after the cleaning is done. Be careful and wear rubber gloves before handling any chemicals. Wear a face mask, and if possible, goggles to protect your skin and eyes from getting any harm.
We hope this article on how to get rid of poop stains has helped you gain some knowledge about the correct ways to do the same. Happy cleaning!