Children love playing with silly putty but you are the one who’s going to have to clean all the spilled silly putty eventually. We hear you crying out for help and hence, we have come up with this article.
We are going to show you some effective ways, you can get rid of silly putty and say ‘Hello’ to clean carpets. In this article, we’ll be going through chemical and natural ways to get off the stains. We will also be recommending some stain removers, in the end, that you can shop online. So, let’s get started!
Chemicals Used to Get Silly Putty Out of Carpet
Under this section, we will go through the chemical ways of dealing with silly putty. These range from nail polish removers to heavy-duty carpet stain removers. It is advisable to know, in advance, the material and quality of the carpet. Before buying any kind of chemicals for stain removal, ask the storekeeper for advice and accordingly, select the best stain remover for your carpet.
Using carpet detergent
- Pour two tablespoons of detergent into a cup (240ml) of warm water. Make sure that the detergent is free of bleach.
- Soak the corner of a towel in the diluted non-bleached solution.
- Blot the stained area. Before doing so, make sure you remove the hardened pieces of silly putty if any. This will let the detergent seep through faster.
- Let the detergent stay on the carpet for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Use a damp cloth to scrub off the silly putty. Make sure you don’t press down on the stain as doing so will make it even harder to get them out. Try pinching it out of the carpet or scrub in circular motions.
- Repeat the steps until the stain disappears.
- After the stain is off the carpet, dry the affected area using a hairdryer.
Using nail polish remover (acetone)
You can either buy acetone from a drugstore or use a nail polish remover.
- If the silly putty has hardened, take a knife or a paper cutter and scrape off the hard pieces. Be careful not to damage the carpet. To soften the pieces, you can pour some warm water over them.
- Wet a cotton ball with acetone.
- Blot all over the stain in an inward direction so as to not spread it further ahead.
- Repeat the process until the stain disappears.
- Make sure to vacuum the affected area to get rid of small silly putty particles.
- Dry the area by keeping it uncovered for a few minutes.
Rubbing alcohol also called Isopropyl rubbing alcohol is pretty famous for its stain removing ability. It can get rid of animal poop stains, slime stains and, you guessed it, silly putty stains. So here are the steps you need to follow in order to entirely get rid of hard silly putty.
- If you have been putting off the task of getting rid of this stain, it is probably as hard as the floor underneath your carpet. So, take a tablespoon and start scraping off the hardened pieces.
- Rubbing alcohol has the ability to seep through the carpet surface and damage the base. Hence, it is advisable to pour a few drops of it on a small portion of a towel and simply dab the affected area. Do not touch the towel to the mouth of the alcohol bottle. Doing so will contaminate the alcohol in the bottle.
- Blot the stain and pinch off the loose particles off the carpet.
- Take the tablespoon and scrape out the sticky stuff.
- Repeat the process and blot in circular directions.
- After the stain is off, take a dry cloth and go through the stain once again.
Using a stain remover
There are stain removers that are specifically manufactured to get rid of sticky stuff. While going shopping in your local supermarket or online, search for a stain remover that focuses on ‘gooey’ or sticky substances. Not all stain removers are carpet friendly so, make sure to go through the list we have provided at the end of this article. Ask the storekeeper to help you with a carpet-friendly stain remover as well. Here are ways to use a stain remover:
- Pour a few drops of stain remover over a dry towel.
- Gently rub the cloth over the stain. Make sure to entirely cover the stain and rub it inwards to avoid its spreading.
- Let the stain remover sit for twenty minutes.
- Take a cup of warm water and add some mild detergent.
- Dip the cloth into the mixture and rub it all over the stain.
- Repeat the process until the stain disappears.
- After all the rubbing is done, take a dry cloth and pick out all the tiny particles lying around the stain. Vacuum over the stain.
A Much Natural Way to Get Rid of Silly Putty
For all anyone who is too lazy to go buy a stain remover from the supermarket or go through the instructions and steps to follow in order to use a stain remover, this one is for you! It is shocking to say that ice can help you get rid of silly putty stains. Although you might need the help of soapy detergents at the end, this method is worth a shot. Follow the below-mentioned steps to get rid of silly putty stains.
- Take a plastic zip lock bag wide enough to cover the whole stain.
- Put four to five ice cubes in the bag and zip up the bag.
- Place the plastic bag directly over the stain and let it be there for two to three hours.
- When you notice the ice starting to melt, refill the bag.
- After four hours, remove the bag. You will notice that the silly put has hardened and risen up.
- Take a tablespoon and start scraping off the hardened pieces. Make sure not to damage the carpet.
- If there is still some silly putty left, use warm soapy water to get rid of it.
- After the stains are no longer visible, dry the area with a damp cloth and vacuum it.
Some Best-Selling Carpet Stain Removers
You will find these carpet stain removers in your nearest supermarket or online. The list is as given below.
- FOLEX Instant Carpet Spot Remover
- Miss Mouth’s Messy Eater Non-Toxic Carpet Stain Remover
- Shout Laundry Stain Remover
- Puracy Natural Laundry Stain Remover
- Dreft Stain Remover
Points to Keep in Mind
It is always better to deal with the stain as soon as it occurs. Delaying the scrubbing process will eventually make it hard on you. While working with chemicals, remember to wear gloves. Make sure the room is properly ventilated while you use rubbing alcohol.
The stain is not going to get off the carpet so easily if left neglected for days. So, be prepared mentally as well as physically to get your hands dirty. We hope this article has helped you come up with an effective way of dealing with silly putty. Happy cleaning!